Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Is Japan a Western country (please read the thread before)

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 9.80%
  • Maybe, depends how you see it

123 34.45%
  • No

186 52.10%
  • Don't know

13 3.64%

Thread: Is Japan a Western country ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Australia is probably the most Western in all the countries discussed here.

IMHO, Bolivia and Jamaica aren't even half Western. Bolivia and Peru are composed of more than 50% Quechua (former Inca kingdom) and still speak Quechua. I don't see why a mainly native American country should be more Western than Turkey, which used to be part of Ancient Greece, then Rome and remained a Greek speaking country till the Turl took over government in 1453. Ethnically and historically, Turkey is as European as Greece, which is laid the basis for Western civilization (without Greece, no Europe, no modern world).

Jamaica is an English speaking country with a strong black majority (like most Caribean islands) with 76% African descent, 15% Afro-European descent, 4% European, 3% East Indian & Middle Eastern, 1% Afro-Chinese & Chinese. In comparison, South Africa is also English (and Afrikaans, which is Dutch) speaking, and has a very similar ethical composition : 77% black, 10% white, 8% mixed race, 2.5% of Indian or Asian descent.
    So, logically, if one is Western the other is too. Just being a part of the American continent doesn't necessarily qualify for Westerness.

Russia has always been a Western country till the 1917 revolution, and even with the same ruling family as the rest of Europe. Russia as a country was actually founded by Swedish vikings. It's not because of 80 years of communism that it's lost its Westerness. Ethnically and culturally as Western as white Europeans or North Americans. Historically more Western than America. The term Western is strange when applied to Russia because of its Eastern geographical location.

Finally, Israel is very much Western in mentality and system, but ethnically and linguistically Semitic (be it Jews or Arabs), so not European, and thus not Western. But almost anybody considers Israel as a Western country, as most of its Jewish population originates from European countries or the US.

Singapore is more Westernized than Japan because it was founded by the British and English is still the official language.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Heart Quechuans

[QUOTE=Maciamo]
    Bolivia and Peru are composed of more than 50% Quechua (former Inca kingdom) and still speak Quechua.

Very good thread Maciamo, obviously lot of researches, and I'll would allow me just a small rectification if I may, mainly because I'm here today and very much concerned with it :

Quechuans are not a race but rather what is called an "ethno-linguistic familly" of about 7 millions in Peru alone. Quechuans are of different origines (some, yes from Incas, but also from the Chavin, Nazcas, Chimos a.s.o). It is like, if you want a comparison, all french speaking people. You'll have differents ethnic groups such as european, africans, oceanians, etc.
    It may seems terribly futile to mention it, but I know that they would want it that way. Just like a Quebecois is not quiet a canadian and a Romand not quiet a swiss...

Now to the question is Japan a western country ? I'll only wish that Japan (as well a china, Korea a.o.) will always keep it's traditions and not burry them under tons of hamburgers, GMO, and whatever western "civilized countries" might bring. Japan has a real identity, known around the world as such, and that should stay. Let's hope that the politics will be able to wage wisely between "occidentalization" and respect of it's own civilization.
    Just little me!!! But maybe a little taller

You grow up, every day. Every second...

East vs. West on a global scale!

Seems to be too much mixing of apples and oranges, concerning individual stances in contrast with one's region's affliation, ethnicity, historical socio/poli influence, etc. Sure, all of these things have played a factor in establishing the terms Westerner and Easterner; so much so, that a possible distinction that could've been made primarily on geography or cultural is now lost.

I would have to say Japan comes off to me as an Eastern country that has very much been Westernized. But, of course, if you were to talk to a Japanese person, they would not consider themselves apart of the "Western world". I've actually found a large amount of Japanese find themselves to be quite different from the rest in the world, with perspective.

Banned

Australian Sushi

Quote Originally Posted by Rioneru View Post
    But, of course, if you were to talk to a Japanese person, they would not consider themselves apart of the "Western world". I've actually found a large amount of Japanese find themselves to be quite different from the rest in the world, with perspective.
    That's a good point.

Not Asian, not Western but Japanese!

And would you believe we have Japanese Spaghetti for dinner tonight LOL.

I often tell Japanese that Australian Sushi is best!