Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Are you bothered by girls making up in the metro ?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • That's very disrespectful and bothersome

3 5.00%
  • That's a bit annoying

9 15.00%
  • I really don't care

28 46.67%
  • I don't see any problem and even like it

20 33.33%

Thread: Are you bothered by girls making up in the metro ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Personally I do not find it to be bad manners, but probably many Japanese do as many (not all!) Japanese feel that a woman should not leave the house without make-up on and to put it on in public would be "bad manners".

Also, there are many a Japanese high school girl who, once they leave school, will, leave their school clothers in a public locker at a train station and may put on make-up in public on their way to partying with their friends. Perhaps this is why it is shunned? I do not know. Maybe others will chime in with more pertinent information.

However, like you, if I see a woman putting on make-up, or "brushing up" on a public transportation system, it does not bother me at all, but conveys to me that she wants to look her best for whomever she is meeting and therefore I overlook it. It just seems natural to me.
    Do What You Love And You'll Never Work Another Day In Your Life!

I once knew a (fairly chauvinistic) English fellow who found the idea of a female applying makeup on the train. "Why should I have to look at you without all your makeup done?" was his attitude.

I don't find anything the least bit wrong with someone doing their makeup in public. It's a whole lot better than a lot of the stuff (public urination, spitting, loudly clearing one's throat) that I see around here.