Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Do you find the claim that the Japanese like/love nature more than others justified ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they care much more about nature, animals and the environment than the rest of the world

2 7.69%
  • They care a lot by international standards, but less than the Western average

2 7.69%
  • Why would they care more than others ?

10 38.46%
  • They care a lot about seasons and cherry blossoms but kill whales and destroy their environment

6 23.08%
  • No, the Japanese care less about the environment and animals protection than average

2 7.69%
  • I think it is impossible to compare because there is no national trend anywhere

4 15.38%

Thread: Do the Japanese really love nature more than all other people ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    This is all very strange because I've found almost the complete opposite. Hiking has always been popular and even in the centre of Tokyo it is very common at weekends to see groups of people in hiking boots and floppy hats on their way to a bus and long distance train.
    My comments are based on my impressions as a "proportion to the total population". In this regard it is undeniable, for instance, that a much higher proportion of Japanese do not have a garden, and that Japanese cities have a smaller percentage of greenery than in most Western countries. I am pretty sure that if you could the proportion of people going hiking in the country frequently, it will also be lower in Japan than in Europe. On warm and sunny days most of the Ardennes region of Belgium (hilly forest in the south) are fully packed with Flemish and Dutch tourists.

You may have been in wrong place to see the gradual change of seasons. I'm presuming you lived in Tokyo. But your constant comparison to Europe and Belgium in particular are to me slightly odd. I've been to Belgium and it seemed to me to be a pleasant country but I was certainly not struck by the nature.
    Exactly ! Belgian people hardly think about their country when they think about nature. YET, since I am back to Belgium, and even in the capital, I have found it to be much greener and a much better place to enjoy nature than Tokyo. Yet the greater Tokyo has 3.5 times the population of Belgium. On a side note, I suppose that like most short-term visitors you haven't been to the nicest part of the Wallonian countryside when you went to Belgium, but stuck to the cities (Brussels, Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp...). Did you know that Brussels had half of the lagest beech forest in Europe within its boundaries ?

Stoicism is not solely a Belgian trait nor is it a European trait but the world over including Japan.
    Isn't that a broad overgeneralisation ?

Quote Originally Posted by craftsman
    However, your comments smack too much of generalizations. With your rivers figure I'm guessing you mean large rivers that run through towns and cities. Surely you don't mean all rivers....do you? And all over the hills and mountains? I'm going to presume you mean all over some here.
    I meant all, according to Alex Kerr in Dogs and Demons. If it isn't correct, complain to him, not to me. But be aware than a river is not the same as a brook or a stream. A river must be wide and deep enough to be navigable.

Quote Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
    I seriously doubt that Mac toured every river in Japan to it's entire length to esure that it is layered with concrete!
    Answered above.

Quote Originally Posted by sabro View Post
    It is a difficult question to answer without relying on impressions and stereotypes... What do you think about the people of an entire nation? In the end, your answer probably says more about yourself than anything else. We see in a broad sense what we want to see, good and bad. We know only what we know. My favorable impressions are based on the fine Japanese people I have known and what little research I have done. What I see in the media tends to confirm what I think I know... I love the Japanese people, and Japanese culture. BUT I know very little about it first hand.
    So basically you are posting to say that you cannot give your opinion because you don't know enough about Japan ? Not a tremendous contribution to the thread...
    Last edited by Maciamo; Nov 12, 2006 at 03:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost