Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    a non member
    I was rejected for a SMBC Visa card... got a Japanese letter at home saying:

We are very sorry, but we can not give you a credit card.

That was it, there was no reason or something it just said I could not get a card...

I guess I am going to apply again one of these months for maybe a daimaru card or something... hope it's going to work this time.

I was rejected for a SMBC Visa card... got a Japanese letter at home saying:

We are very sorry, but we can not give you a credit card.

That was it, there was no reason or something it just said I could not get a card...

I guess I am going to apply again one of these months for maybe a daimaru card or something... hope it's going to work this time.
    Last edited by Dutch Baka; Mar 21, 2008 at 10:13. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yea that's generally the way it goes. No reason given and a lot of insincere polite gobbledygook.

The article suggested getting a visa debit card from your bank, or one from the post office. Is there any particular reason you want a credit card, as opposed to a debit card?
    Last edited by JimmySeal; Mar 21, 2008 at 23:55. Reason: misspelled insincere

Just recieved my Japanese platinum visa card with $XX,XXX credit limit. But was rejected countless times. There is no way you are getting a Japanese credit card from any company unless you have something special (not saying that I do, but my bank manager pushed the card through for me.) It is common practise for card companies to deny foriegners without a second thought upfront. I eventually was asked to provide a copy of my permanent residency and a copy of my yearly income, from there they deemed it safe to give me a credit card.

Oh and Jimmy, I was rejected for a card from the same bank, but I then procceded to the back manager who I do my business with and explained the situation, only then was I able to get the card that I wanted.

Even cards with banks will reject you.