Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: PG-rated : 40 reasons to think that the Japanese are superficial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Been a while since I posted here

I strongly believe that people are the same no matter what, and it comes down to culture and environment that determines their opinions and actions.

To get an idea of why Japanese are how they are you need to look at the schools. Its all about groups and vertical hierarchy - sensei/sempai/kohai system. Aisatsu is the grease that keeps the social system running - no thinking, just reacting. Same with the entire educational system - memorisation of facts, no critical thinking or discussion of topics.

Just on that, I was an excellent student in my first year of Junior High school, within the top 1% or so of my year. But soon after that my grades in Japanese, English and other non-science subjects took a plunge taking my averages down. I can't criticise and analyse poetry. I don't give a toss on how to draw (but received perfect grades for CAD, heh). When I came to Japan I was shocked at the pure lack of discussion and debate during lessons, and that evaluation of all topics was done on hard correct/incorrect answers. There was very little in the way of research topics, and the few that did come up were researched lightly and more credit was given to presentation and amusement level over actual details given and level of understanding made.

Continuing with the school system, from elementary school you are entered into a group, all of you the same age, born within the same April-April window. For the rest of your time in elementary school you have all your lessons with the same group of people, within the same classroom everyday, and eat your lunch with the same people. These people become your dokyusei - same age students - and its a term you will hear people even in their old age use as these group bonds last forever. You have little contact with those outside your grade level or even classroom.

Junior/Senior High you may be at a different school, but this fixed class group system remains, spending yet another 6 years with the same people.

The sempai/kohai system is so important because everything in Japanese life revolves around it. Its a vertical system where you do not question or speak out against those above you, and in return they look after the people below them. Part of this is why the Japanese academic system is so poor, with little interaction, discussion and sharing of information between the educated elite. This also shows in companies where people do not speak out when there are problems or issues.

I'll write more next time
    Leon - http://www.leonjp.com
    Expat Japan! - http://forums.expatjapan.net
    ”¼‚΂͎©ŒÈ‚ÌK‚¹‚ðA”¼‚΂͑¼l‚ÌK‚¹‚ð

puzzled gaijin
    Originally Posted by gaijinalways
    and the British..well..
    Taiko666 posted
    er.... would you care to elaborate?

Does your view of British sexual morality lean towards Victorian upper-class prudishness or Austin Powers 60s swinging?
    My point is that all Western cultures are not alike, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways View Post
    Originally Posted by gaijinalways
    Taiko666 posted
    My point is that all Western cultures are not alike, nothing more.
    I know... I wasn't criticising. I was just wondering if the amusing stereotype of British morality was still prevalent.